Sunday 23 June 2013

Finally! Here I am!

WHOA! Techno Freeze! I was on a really LONG and tedious task of giving up technology for these months and I have succeeded! Well if you don't count reading books that is... Eh.. I don't. SO, moving on, I have read some fantastic and some not so amazing books in all this while! Like I could live without reading... *sarcastic snort* Also, I have been doing modifications to my book but reading so many has really impaired my progress. I have lots of reviews lined up and am itching to get started but if I do begin right now, I am not gonna be able to sleep and that will be a serious problem for me and my 'rents cuz my mom nags me to get to bed early although really, this isn't early, like, at all... (HAH! In your face!) *evil grin* Let it be known that when aliens come invading I'll be the first to rebel just for the sake of rebellion....Anyway, here I am, putting some of my Goodreads reviews and hoping to here from you guys soon. WARNING: I have been on a Road-trip novel spree!!! ^_^ SQUEEEE!

Amy & Roger's Epic DetourAmy & Roger's Epic Detour by Morgan Matson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I LOVE ROAD TRIP NOVELS!!! Now that that's out of the way, it's obvious I would mark this one to read. The thing about this that's special is the real characters with impossible situations. I loved the reactions, emotions, feelings of all of them just the coincidences were unreal. I still liked it and the ending was phenomenal! The sole focus of it was Amy and the others were supporting everything happening to her wonderfully but I began liking them as well especially her dad and I would have liked to get to know them more... I feel road-trip novels are all the same but still each one is so different from the other because the author sees things differently. I love how my perspective changes and I can see the miracle in a common and taken-for-granted every-day thing. But I will still wait for that completely real plot that manages to sweep me off my feet...
You're welcome to read this review on my blog- http://samsoulsearcher.blogspot.in/


View all my reviews


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I read the reviews for this book and maybe my expectations for it racketed up or something; i can't exactly pinpoint the reasons but to me it seemed like any other YA romance/ coming-of-age but obviously realistic fiction. I felt that the relationship between Devan and her mother could have been explored in a deeper fashion, maybe? or that the Drama-nerdness going on could have been explained better... I think i cut off one star for the disappointment in the tone of her voice- a slight mediocrity to it, kind of? I did like how she listed things she knew about her mother although i felt that a child neglected by both of her parents could have turned out different from the character of Devan. I felt so excited at the prospect of Sai but that avenue was felt inadequately explored to me as well.. AH, i felt as if there was something missing and I have no idea what!



My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Okay, um really? goes through my mind as I read that (view spoiler)[ Rosie kisses Spencer whether out of some misplaced attraction for his dorky ways or out of pity. I have to say it seems more like the latter...  (hide spoiler)] I mean when it started out, I really liked Rosie but as the pages turned, I felt there was something that was wrong !! The whole road trip experience of hers, I loved reading but her actual behaviour as a person, at first I found quite entertaining and dramatic, and as she described herself, passionate and then she goes and disappoints me by (view spoiler)[ kissing  Spencer, crushing on the jerk Logan and knowing about Matty's feelings but ignoring them until she is sorta forced to confront them...  (hide spoiler)] It was SO very obvious that she liked Logan and I got too annoyed with her to just sigh, bat eyelashes and flutter about around him just because of his looks.. BLECH. Also, I didn't like her selfish actions or thoughts at all but I took them in my stride and hoped and hoped so much for the glimpse of real person but it didn't happen. I always look for something different in a story but most of the things like (view spoiler)[ Rosie and the Harem thing going on around her, the 180 degree change of heart/ personality in her after the trip and the fact that there appeared to be something wrong about the whole car setting on fire thing because according to Rosie she had just set the stupid box of memories aflame and I hazarded a guess that she set it on fire a safe distance away from a vehicle.  (hide spoiler)] they felt so typical, predictable and I was just huffing and sighing inside and screaming "JUST GET IT OVER WITH!!" I'm a person who likes surprises in life and plots so this did NOT jive... At first I half liked and half disliked it but then near the end, I only liked about 30% of it... Though the road trip saved it for me... because obviously, I love road trips!! I have to say her voice was colourful, funny, sarcastic and real but her actions o-Oh my god!  sometimes i couldn't believe she was doing that whew! I loved to hear about her feelings after the break up and felt sympathetic with her although about Avery, i don't understand how someone can be that intimately friendly with a stranger right from the moment they see them! But the words o' widom through the book, I liked.



My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I stumbled upon Whitney's When You Were Here and as it was a looong wait, I moved onto read this series to kill the anticipation and thankgod it didn't disappoint! The outline is so promising and I could tell that it was inspired from To Kill A Mockingbird even though I haven't read it (it was obvious...). Now, I'm a huge fan of vigilante justice so this hooked me on and of course the fact that our girl Alex goes through being date-rape drugged and that struggle to find and be herself that she undergoes. The thing is that I sort of do understand the whole institution of Education tends to ignore the reality of what actually goes on in the personal lives of students at school especially boarding school. The whole attitude that grades are the most important thing in existence is all too real and that Whitney has managed to either symbolise it or actually show it in the open, is what I loved. Alex is a wonderful girl even though she managed to infuriate me sometimes. The skilful weaving of broken memories and the present is almost too dramatic to be true but the feelings coming from Alex are so so absolutely substantially animate and they cut right through to me. Whitney has added in the afterword that she herself has faced being date-rape drugged which explains the beautiful narration of emotions. I also find that the existence of a democratic jury for justice is really impossible in reality but Alex and her coming-of-age story won me over.   



My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was the first book that caught my attention while scanning for off-beat stories when i got bored with the boring mainstream themes in other books. I had marked it to read as soon as I saw the word Tokyo because, yup!, i'm a fan of Japanese culture. then to pass time I read her 'mockingbirds' series and I was definitely not disappointed. I got it yesterday night and finished it like, today. I very much liked the coming of age story of Danny but the only thing that felt extremely unrealistic was his accepting Holland back. I loved how Whitney created the Tokyo atmosphere even when Danny was feeling his emotional turmoil. |Regardless of my few let-downs in the end and a feeling that she hurried to end the book, she put forth a magnificent story and I loved the wise revelations that whizzed through. It's clear, simple and yet very deep if we look it that way. 

View all my reviews


Well, that's all for right now but I promise as soon as I get on tomorrow, I'll post the rest of them as well. Enjoy! Upcoming reviews have Rock Chick series and many others by Kristen Ashley into which I'm going to get into real looong!

No comments:

Post a Comment