Wednesday 26 June 2013

A SLICE OF CAKE ANYONE?

Hey, guys! Now sorry to disappoint those who're waiting for the rest of the reviews but I'm gonna babble about cakes in this one because I finally bought CREAM CHEESE!!! I think you know by that hint the type of cake I'm talking about... YES, bingo! It's the RED VELVET CAKE!!! *dreamy sigh* God, I can still taste the first time I tasted it two years back in the Mumbai bakery called 210 degrees c!!!!! It was the Red Velvet cake pie with an AMAAAAZING CREAM CHEESE FROSTING!!! The first bite I took made me swear off any other sweet thing and even until now, I haven't recovered from the food-gasm!!! God, it was so delicious!( Yes, it needs multiple mentions and taking the name of the lord in vain!! It's that good!) From then on, I never missed a trip there to eat that pie!!! But soon I wanted to begin experimenting and try to make it at home because summer holidays saw me stuck at my countryside home... So I researched nights for the best and most moist Red Velvet cake ever! It wasn't easy because Google coughs up so many average recipes that you've gotta sift through at least 50 till you get that best sounding recipe!! (And, yes, I'm exaggerating!) Now for those of you who don't know about it, Red Velvet cake is a Southern classic soul food and favourite dessert and the red comes from- Food colouring! (Hah, bet you thought it was some other 'magical' ingredient...)  Now, basically this cake is supposed to have a tangy but slightly sweet flavour and for some traditional sweet-cake lovers, it might not do it but if you don't taste it, how will you get it? It certainly was a different but surprisingly great ride for me when I tried it the first time! Even if it is called red velvet there is some amount of cocoa in it and that does miracles for the flavour!! There's the earthy heat of cocoa but it's balanced by the tang of buttermilk and the balance is so good that neither overwhelms the other!!!  From the beginning, I found it a li'l bit hard to bake a moist cake- maybe it was because of the oven or some mess-up in the quantity of ingredients... but I did research the recipes again and you can decide on your own if you want a normally crumbly cake or an extra-moist  one.( Hint: The oil makes the cake moist..)

This recipe is the first I have tried and it's the normal crumbly textured one-

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/red-velvet-cake-L7335.html#.Ucno3I5qJoQ.blogger



The extra moist one is here-

http://www.simplyscratch.com/2012/10/classic-red-velvet-cake.html



Getting started on CHOCOLATE CAKE recipes!! I tried my first one, 5 years back and this time I found THE PERFECT RECIPE EVER!!! I only ever tried to bake in vacations so I didn't really get time to experiment and stuff but at least I'm here in the end! Believe it or not I was NOT good in the kitchen and my first attempt at baking was a disaster but I liked it so much that I still continued with it and today I can make amazing cakes at the least! ^_^ (I don't know about souffles and such as I haven't tried them but I make a mean creme brulee- without a blow torch!!! and naturally, the custom caramel custard -YUM! On another note, I've always wanted to try the orange caramel custard recipe from Simon Hopkinson..)
All the other cakes of chocolate that I have baked were nothing compared to this one! That's how good it was! So moist and melt-in-your-mouth that we (my li'l sis and me) finished TWO tiers of that cake in just 2 days!!! There was never even the need for any frosting!!! Now there's coffee in this one and that makes so much of a difference in the flavour! Also the kind of chocolate you use is so important. I would recommend dark chocolate (Don't worry there's enough sugar that you won't taste any bitterness! Duh...) and authentic espresso powder or even any authentic ground coffee beans (like French Press from Starbucks, etc-this would be the best option, actually). Here's the recipe-

http://addapinch.com/cooking/2013/01/25/the-best-chocolate-cake-recipe-ever/

Hope you find these useful!! Wish me luck for the Red Velvet Cake recipe and pray that this time I will get the CREAM CHEESE FROSTING down, perfectly!!!!!
The reviews of Rock Chick and other books + mangas are coming soon!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment