Wednesday 17 July 2013

Rain onslaught and the Books....

Okay everyone, here are some more reviews. I really want to read a good one these days... *depressed sigh*



BeastlyBeastly by Alex Flinn
My rating: 3.75 of 5 stars



' Beauty and the Beast is my favourite fairytale of all so I was compelled to pick this book up. Some points I loved about it were that it was written from Beast's POV- I came to understand so many of his reactions and emotions like loneliness, anger, frustration, despair which made all the difference. But because of this weight over Beast's character maybe Beauty became underweight. Then there's the whole character of Beauty- she hasn't been portrayed as a beauty at all and this is what I loved the most: this helped me connect with her and him but that's where the connection with 'Linda' stops because you don't come to get to know her very well just rather the superficial points about her. Flinn turned the whole fairytale upside down and that I loved but then she reverted to the original too. The chat room where the Mermaid, the Frog and the Bear were present didn't really penetrate my mind- it felt like that chat room was there just to stall the story. I hated Kyle/Adrian at first because of how shallow he was- I kept thinking can people in the real world behave like this? but then I became enraptured in the story and it was nice.
For Fairytale retelling- lovers and Beauty & the Beast fans, this is one of the books out there to read and a bonus- the author has mentioned some others with good outlines in her acknowledgements and even those are worth checking out! Cheers!


View all my reviews

Ink (Paper Gods, #1)Ink by Amanda Sun
My rating: 1.33 of 5 stars


I am soooo TORN! I really TRULY wanted to like this book. *sad sigh*
Oh well, see there are reasons that my expectations were high.
1. It's a book about JAPAN 'Nough. said.
2. JAPAN !!!! And, yes, this point is so important it needs another mention...
3. The cover is of course, gorgeous...
4. I liked the concept of the plot- it was so different than normal! The whole myth about Kami, I was so excited to get into it and see how the author spun it off because I'm an OTAKU! I've read so many mangas but not many about supernatural stuff...

So taking these thoughts I jumped and right from the first page I was disappointed in Katie. She had no redeeming qualities as a protagonist. See, she only had things said about her that made us take in her character. Then there was Tomohiro. Oh god. I didn't see any nice banter going on between Katie and him and their attraction seemed only due to  some flimsy magical connection and/or physical appearances. I hated this.
Quite a lotta eye-rolling was going on from my side! Then there's the whole writing. You know, it felt like someone had gobbled up sentences and paragraphs in the middle of the pages! I was so confused while reading it... but I gritted my teeth and finished the book. I sorta understood why the author tried to incorporate Japanese words in the prose but she should have taken care of how to integrate them.
Then there's the plot. *hesitating pause before a true but dramatic sentence* There is no plot. It's true! I was trying to find it and find it but I couldn't get it! Although it did seem like a lotta manga plots sloppily put together... I hoped the plot would mature and thicken but it was half-formed and never moved.
A very few times I liked how the Japanese atmosphere was created but most of the time, the scenery and people were described in a detached way with an effort to diffuse some emotion n it.... Damn I have known mangas better than this! *depressed sigh*
Also, The author failed to create her paranormal/ supernatural world. All the characters seemed wasted. I feel so sad.
If you wanna check it out first read the negative or 2 star reviews if possible with spoilers and then decide whether you wanna read it or not.
Peace out.


View all my reviews





My rating: 3.12 of 5 stars


I had thought this to be a 'Dystopian' book but it's set in the modern day! For me the main focus of this one was the romance because that was what I liked at the end. As for the rest of the plot- it was engaging, to say the least. The genetic engineering part seemed very well done no matter how sickening it was. I liked the dual POV and the feel of reality to it. Solo was sort of a favourite. I did snicker at the obvious geekiness in the name and plot of the book but it was all good. Something about this one is that you just blur through it taking things in vaguely- it does catch your attention but you find it only half engaging. It's a light sci-fi romance with stationery characters and not bad at all though I do have a question- if Eve's mom wasn't in the bad guys then why did she let Eve use that program? because whatever it was, it couldn't be a plaything/ game for her daughter to play while she's bored getting recovered....
but eh, semantics I guess...
*the single finger salute*



My rating: 3.61 of 5 stars


I had been in a very good mood and had been willing to give cliche- sounding plotlines a chance to bring something new to the table so I picked up this one. The cover was also really cute in a stereotypical way but that was all right... I'm always open to books that explore girls trying to get over their crushes because I, myself, had been this this girl and maybe still am...
Avery seems a socially awkward girl with geeky tendencies in the beginning. The words make you laugh right from the start. Some things went over smoothly and others did not... The shower scene between Avery and Grayson seemed unreal- no other word for it! It left me disgruntled and rolling my eyes... Then there was the pacy transformation of Avery and Grayson's feelings about her. On the other hand there's the scientific observation theme of it that I liked (although I hated when she didn't blame Aiden or get angry at him- their relationship is really unhealthy!!) I also eagerly lapped up Gray and Avery's romance even ploughing through some eye-rolling. I would have liked a character without any disorders or illnesses but eh... I have to admit Gray's POV was entertaining! Summing it up, this is a light rom-com read albeit YA (though not so much comic in the end!) but when you read it there's gonna be some cliches with it!




My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This book needs a review and I'm warning you I'm not those dopey fans of 'fifty shades of grey' and other books. I try to read realistic fiction most of the time. In the 'Sea Breeze' series the first one was just half a star but Because of Low made me sit up and take notice so I hoped for a good third one and it is, somewhat... The thing I loved that Glines put in this book was Eva's feelings and the 'Southern' thing, also the dual POV... But as always there's too much reference to sex and physical appearances and I guess... *defeated sigh* that's ok... Glines has always tried to be 'commercially right' as I have said before but this one I liked- there was something here that wasn't in the others.
A light contemporary romance. Cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment