Tuesday 9 July 2013

And the books again!

Hey everyone! I'm here bringing more reviews of amazing books! Eh, I know I keep postponing the Rock Chick series et all but believe me I'm getting there!


Lost and Found (Lost and Found, #1)Lost and Found by Nicole  Williams
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I have been familiar with Williams' work -
  Crash (Crash, #1)
and   Clash (Crash, #2)
both of which I was not very impressed with so I was apprehensive about starting this one... The book blurb sounded extremely cliche and I was even more apprehensive. But I started it and all that Rowan wind knocked me down!! This book is about a bad girl and a good boy which narrow opening is not explored much in the YA novels right now. Rowan Sterling has become a 'freak' in people's eyes because of her edgy clothes and cold demeanour and she has constantly been in trouble according to her emotionally abusive and neglecting mother. So she has been forced to this remote ranch otherwise Rowan can kiss Art school fees funding from her mother 'goodbye' because her mother knows life in this ranch will set her teeth on edge and maybe change the kick-ass personality of her 'troubled' daughter. Rowan has been treated with so much emotional cruelty that she herself has started to believe that she's a failure and there can be no sadder thing. Williams has been able to show how this self-deprecating attitude formed in Rowan's mind and that sets her apart from others who have tried to write about neglected children/young adults... Rowan has spiralled so far down the depression road that she has forgotten how to believe in herself again. So naturally she is loathe to spend time at a ranch working herself the tough labours there. But her meeting with Jesse Walker (whose name is stereotypically cow-boyish) brings out her own self and this continues when she lives at Willow Springs with the Walkers who accept her and like her as they get to see more of herself. I have never seen any people like the Walkers! They're completely laid back yet hard-working, sincere, respectful and absolutely non-judgemental people. The most important quality that shines through is their acceptance without judgements. I can't explain how important it is for a child to grow in a non-judgemental environment and that shows in how Jesse has become after growing up with the Walkers. I didn't expect this book to be as real as it was and that delighted me. I loved Rowan's coming-of-age ad kept expecting some cliche or the other but not many predictable things happened. Garth black was another secondary character that was half unpredictable though I expected more development about him. I loved that Rowan did commit mistakes but came back swinging and ready to hit more. Many a time, I thought, 'Oh shit, she's going to do something boring and predictable" and then she did do that but in some different way than my imagined one... Jesse was really a bit of a rainbow... Some thing that he was I found unbelievable but he came across as a sweet, gentle yet only too human (in his feelings) boy but Rowan was the star. If I get started on her mother I will never end because she one mean daughter of a b*tch! (Ah, I know !!!) I cut off one star for the slightly boring things in it but this one is better than the Crash series for me.

View all my reviews

Who I KissedWho I Kissed by Janet Gurtler
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

My rating: 2.5
This book talks about a rare subject for me- deadly allergies caused due to nuts. I've never personally come into contact with people having such allergies but have heard it through my friends so I've not thought deeply on how careful these guys have to be ALL THE TIME. That was sorta a shock. Gurtler has handled this topic half to my like and half to my dislike. If the story revolved around a person having these deadly allergies then she would have handled it better due to her experience but this had the opposite point of view. One thing that perplexed me is why Gurtler decided that the perpetrator's name isn't infamous through the media at all (they don't even name her!) The outline was so promising and my expectations were high especially from Sam's coming of age but Gurtler couldn't accomplish that (dunno why). The 'before' and 'during' part of it was wonderful ! It's when the 'after' part began that started disappointing me...because that's when this unique story became run-of-the-mill. I thought Sam was different. Her internal dialogue was very refreshing!- shy, clumsy, endearing yet a quiet strength. In the 'after', yes I expected her crippling guilt whether it be survivor or perpetrator guilt. What I hated was the way Sam handled it. I understand the need to feel numb because feeling too much guilt destroys you but is sexual activity with someone you don't even like the only thing that does this? Why do authors always pick this reason for young adults? (God, maybe I'm being prudish but still !!!!) I don't think it would work in real life. On the other hand, I appreciated the beginning of the disentanglement between the father-daughter bond. Sam's aunt was funny, wise yet a bit like a godmother and made the book fun. And that's all there is to like! The romance segment was complete bullshit for me because Zee's behaviour didn't jive at all right from the beginning!! It's the crappiest thing to do- start to give those 'kiss' vibes to a girl you like ( keep in mind, people!) but when your on-again-off-again-hook-up-girl comes interrupting, going off with her and immediately making out with her ???? WHAT THE FUCK? I mean what kind of an asshole is he??? But then, fine this happened, it hurt, time to move on but nnyooooooo there's gotta be romantic development between them anyway The 'numbing-with-sex' part and the unrealistic pathetic romantic thing that no self-respecting girl would do plus the ANGST (OH the ANGST!!)   ruined the whole book... There's also the part where Gurtler completely does a 180 in the climax that again made me regret reading it! Why do authors always feel the need to 'redeem' the lead with some bullshit banner of 'having learnt a lesson and behaving completely out of character?
*depressed sigh* mildly interesting read. The last 70% was a disaster for me.


View all my reviews



Paper ValentinePaper Valentine by Brenna Yovanoff
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My rating: 4.3
That beautiful cover of this book caught me hook, line and sinker! I had never heard of Brenna Yovanoff (Which makes me feel like a hermit!) but that cover and the outline (maybe not like the cover) was enough for me. Normally I'm not a 'horror kinda girl... But serial killers and murder mysteries are sorta my cup of tea. Even after I started reading it, the pace seemed a bit slower than I had anticipated. Once the ball started rolling though, I could not put it down! I fell in love with Yovanoff's writing! The gory descriptions, the subtle psychological and cute (I have no idea how she managed it but this book is proof that she did!) romance, the mystery of murders and even the ghosts made it phenomenal!!! (which I had in no way expected!) Yovanoff owned this book!!!! The climax was pulled off amazingly without predictability! (Umm, Okay, I relent, maybe a little predictable .. But damn, I loved it!!! so I'm gonna overlook that!) It didn't insult my intelligence much and I was grateful for that. It was clever and she managed to balance out all genres really well- supernatural, romance, coming-of-age, mystery and horror!! Yovanoff has a way with voices. Though there was not the rounding-off of secondary characters (except Lillian) her style of writing is platinum and gave me goosebumps! (Yes, I myself was surprised at that one!!!) The cliff-hangers at most of the end of chapters captured my interest enough to keep reading. I felt Lillian's character was carved rather beautifully- in the beginning, I felt weirded out by her but gradually she grew on me. Our heroine was kick-ass; which was so, so very unexpected! But maybe I should have guessed from the way it started.. Hannah and Lillian made the book what it is, for me. The fashion element was the icing on the cupcake- unexpected but when come into introduction, well-received and taken in the stride of things. What can I say about Finnigan Boone??! I did expect more from him (I mean in character) but whatever time he spent with Hannah felt eternal! (Ah, here I go witht he dramatic!) Yovanoff described things in such a way that you were forced to form thoughts about all the aspects- the town, it's mentality, the high school psyche, etc. This whole world created and moved because of her words and I guarantee not many authors today can do it. The high school atmosphere felt a little jarring but she pulled it off well inserting the right elements to do it.
I expect to read a lot more from her!!


View all my reviews


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
My rating: 2.7

Uh. Wow. (No, you guessed, it is NOT a good feeling!) Well I have to warn you I'm quite a bit biased about incest so yes, I'm probably gonna disappoint fans but I dunno about new readers... When I read about the topic being incest, *sighing with clenched teeth* I put it off as long as I could in the to-read shelf... But my pile-ups were mocking me and I couldn't just run away from them, it would be a personal insult... So I steeled myself prepping up that I had to have seen something in the reviews or the outline to put up with the bitter part! And there I went off. In the beginning, I had to admit, I loved Suzuma's incredible writing- she has a poetic way about it which I loved, her descriptions were vivid and sent in some emotional moments. But then most of the middle part was extremely annoying and frustrating because it seemed typical teenage angst. I did expect some of it but not this much! That put me off of it and I switched to something else. I never try to leave any book half-assed, though so I went back to it cementing a 'Romeo-Juliet' sort of ending in there. I have no idea why but that constant assertion that they were not hurting anyone by being together, had me admitting that, yes it was true enough *depressing sigh*. I was still not convinced that this could be a possibility because really? I couldn't imagine anything like it- for the first time I could not imagine how the characters felt, absolutely, could not!! Fuck, I wanted to and maybe, in the end maybe I somewhat understood it sloppily... I was not happy reading this book. I had been warned by those considerable reviews but still I hadn't braced for the impact so coming out of it at the end had me scrambling to open a new one for relief. I have no idea why Suzuma would pick up such an issue for her story- maybe because it was so rare? I thought that she had tried to understand their feelings through this but maybe she couldn't do it completely? I have to admit though that the ending was extremely tremendously real and that, I liked. The 0.5 came because of it. This book didn't change those prejudices and beliefs regarding incest because what I read, reinforced that the people who entered such a relationship were quite possibly mentally/emotionally ill/unstable due to familial circumstances or other reasons. Nevertheless it did convince me that maybe, if both of the people entered into it willingly (however insane for us) they should be given a chance to prove themselves... I'm not really sure to read more of her though... Maybe her writing will be enough.




My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Hmm. The outline was a bit misleading because Woods doesn't really avoid fragile women but eh, moot point now that I'm finished. For me, Abbi Glines is one of those contemporary romance writers that never get it right but never get it 'commercially' wrong. But I admit I do enjoy reading her a bit. Sometimes, light reads are the need of the hour to take my mind off of heavy topics fucking with my mind. Sometimes, I like being caught up in the emotional drama precisely because I know it'll be a happy ending.. I like her dual (sometimes multiple) P-O-Vs I sort of like her style but there's too much sex... though that's all right... when I wanna lap it up I do, when I am definitely not in the mood, I skim through those pages and get on with the story and it annoys me that sex makes up half of her book but, oh well... I am a girl! This story is about abuse, love, and all the other normal contemporary romance novel shit. It's fine not really great, not especially bad. If you're a Glines fan or maybe you're halfway in, halfway out then you would like to read it. If you wanna read some of her nice stories- Because of Low  and  While It Lasts are some good ones.Start with them.



My rating: 5 of 5 stars
My rating: 4.7
After reading The Hunger Games series I went off on a 'Dystopia' spree because I never knew that reading about these imagined 'future' worlds could be so much fun!! Sadly, I couldn't find any more to fulfill this thirst- the other books just seemed too pale in comparison...When I read the outline, I wasn't expecting very much but then I started reading and right from that 1st page, got addicted! There has been tons of praise and analysis for this one and no wonder! From the beginning itself, Roth starts spinning out a world along with information on how to picture it and understand it's structure and movements and navigate it's path through. The division of society with 5 factions with no clear leader of them all was refreshing to me as in ever other Dystopian book, there's autocracy and that gets boring. The factions indicate at an effort for moral as well as technological evolution for humans.In this book, Roth points toward the line of thought she intends to take up and establish throughout the trilogy. Abnegation and Dauntless have been explained thoroughly in this one. The world Roth creates is easily palpable, understandable, breakable. The allowance of 16 year-olds  to transfer to another or stay in their own faction- this premise is a building block..
Coming to the factions, How Beatrice undergoes the struggle between choosing another faction over hers, tugged at my heart. This book can get heavy if you let it and chapter analyses with notes is a good way to keep track, even rereading it to imagine the world clearly could be required but you won't mind the ride as it's entertaining.
Roth hasn't hesitated to get gritty even though the protagonist is a female. I guess she understands that a tough woman draws people in... Her voice is real, clear, strong, emotional without being dramatic, practical, young. As it's a trilogy, the secondary characters have a scope of evolution and yet these too, seamlessly bind (Christina, Albert, Will, Peter- yes, even him !!) Except Al, everyone seemed predictable though. Four is a character completely unto himself and a short dive into his POV certainly was required to mutate this story. Their romance is subtle but essential in their character development as well as the story. There are many facets to it as well- sometimes she acts like a common teenager-in-love, but sometimes there's a mature edge at those thoughts.
Again, there is the due faction-stress on Dauntless. It seems like an army for the whole society. Roth shows piercing insights into faction- psyche, group-behaviour with the retention of individuality. As the 'soldier' faction, There is a much needed violence to be included and Roth has described all too readily. Then there's the 'mystery' regarding the Erudite with war plots (Dystopia has to have war!) and it's relation to the 'Divergence' in characters.. This mystery- it's pace, elements and characters fit together perfectly. There's A LOT OF ACTION but it doesn't shear the edge off the mystery..
The puzzle with a clear leadership over the factions bugged me because Roth had every other element refreshingly unoriginal but that line of thought opened up something- a familiar pattern and yes, it disappointed me a bit.
Romance, pace, action, dystopia, politics, psychology, family, sacrifice, death- what does it not have, you will ask... Well sometimes there's so much it seems that too much has been stuffed into 1 book but still Go Read IT!!!

View all my reviews

Too Good to Be TrueToo Good to Be True by Kristan Higgins
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My rating: 4.15

The first novel ever from Higgins that caught my interest was not this one!! It was The Best Man and surprisingly (because I'm not really so much into classic Chick Lit or contemporary novels...) That story was nice ! I have to say, this one (Too Good To Be True) was even better than that recent one! Chic-lit/contemporary roms are really hard to get when you try to curve it in an original way. Even if there are many 'unoriginal' things in this one I still liked it as they could be overlooked. Grace is an entertaining, if somewhat strange (hmmm, maybe the 'good' kind...) character and I can not tell you how many times I laughed out loud while reading it!!! Gathering from these two plots I reckon Higgins likes love, family and hot guys put together for her story to succeed (and who could argue? because the classic formula for a contemp-rom seems to be it...). This might not be something new but it is what to be expected from this cloud of genre, this came into consideration while reviewing the book. But the characters are far from the normal rigmarole in the other books. I loved Grace- truly! She is really hilarious with her 'imaginary boyfriends' and even if somewhat unhealthy, I was sympathetic with her for that trait. I absolutely loved her family!! (even her sour and criticizing Meme!! which is saying something!!) Too many things caught my liking- the love and sacrifices for your family, the plain love between each other in that family, the prejudices about ex-cons, etc. I have to say I would be really glad when an author writes about a normal guy someone who maybe, isn't all that 'movie-star gorgeous' / with built muscles et all- it gets boring real fast! But eh... if these things aren't overlooked then how will I enjoy any book?? especially from these genres? Any way, back to Grace, for the first time since a lot of books, the main character was actually someone I liked to hear! Her voice wasn't grating at my nerves and her statements were funny! The romance is light and this book centres mostly around family - at least it felt like that to me... Callahan was inappropriately characterised for me and Grace was the center of this book's universe. Her character was endearing, sympathizing, frustrating,loving, exasperating! I loved how the relationship between her parents was portrayed because it felt true to what most often is life. Ah, what can I say about the 'sister' bond! I think even that was weaved beautifully- Margaret was my favourite and Nat was hmmm..., described with a Teflon coating that bumped off most of Life... Even though Grace was the middle child she felt like the eldest sister to me. Margaret was interesting because she was the most insightful person in the book and yet she was the most melodramatic (which makes me burst into laughter!!) Natalie - I understood the bond between them because it's a li'l bit like how me and my sis are, I was in full sync with Grace's thoughts regarding her. I understood so many things about Grace... And this point was the winning one for me. This book is more about familial love rather than romance. It's thoughtful and a great laugh and Grace's words say more than they're meant to. Because of my personal emotions, this book got an extra star! I think Kristan Higgins may take her place with Kristen Ashley (Coming from a hardcore KA fan this is saying something!!!!!)


View all my reviews




OHHH! WHEW! I've actually been sending it into draft because of the stupid internet.... More come next!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment